These Healthy Veggie Egg Muffin Cups are an easy and delicious way to start your mornings! These are a quick and healthy option for breakfast.
There was a point in time of my life a few years ago when I made these Healthy Veggie Egg Muffin Cups every single Sunday for at least 6 months straight. I refused to wake up an extra 30 minutes to make myself breakfast during the week (needed my beauty sleep I guess). So these little grab-and-go muffins were my form of meal prepping.
Nowadays I typically get up in time to cook myself some breakfast, but these are always my go-to when I know I have a busy week ahead.
These egg muffin cups are not only super healthy, but they are incredibly easy to make. They take practically no time at all to prepare and cook super quick. You can also keep them in the fridge for up to a week to reheat in the microwave later.
If you don't love the veggies in the recipe, don't fret! You can absolutely change up the mix-ins. You can add breakfast meat, like bacon or sausage. Maybe add in some cheese if that's your thing. The veggies options are endless! Some other veggies that would go great are tomatoes and mushrooms.
What you need:
- Egg Whites- If you don't want to take the time to separate yolks from egg whites, I recommend using liquid egg whites! They are easy to measure and that way you don't waste any yolks in the process.
- Veggies- I used bell peppers, onions, spinach, and scallions- but as I said above, feel free to take any of those out or swap them for another veggie you love!
- Salt & Pepper- for some extra flavor!
- Muffin Tin- My favorite non-stick muffin tin here!
How to make:
- Chop up your veggies- I like to chop everything up first and then measure to make sure I'm getting the perfect amount. Hot tip: use any leftover chopped veggies for toppings on a salad, or saute them up really quick to eat for dinner.
- Mix everything together- whisk all your ingredients up in a bowl- the veggies will cook in the oven so you don't need to saute them before!
- Spoon into muffin tin- evenly measure them out into the greased muffin tin (greased to ensure they come out easily after baking).
- Bake and enjoy!
Other Recipes to try:
Healthy Veggie Egg Muffin Cups
- 2½ cups egg whites
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 medium bell pepper)
- ½ cup onion, chopped (about ½ medium onion)
- 1 cup spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1-2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Prepare your muffin tin by spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, bell peppers, onion, spinach, scallions, salt, and pepper. Mix everything until well combined.
- Using a ⅓ measuring cup, scoop the mixture evenly into the muffin cavities. You should have enough to make 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until muffins have puffed up and egg whites are completely cooked (not wet/jiggly in the middle). The muffins will sink back down as they cool.
- Muffins are best served warm. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheated in the microwave.
- These can be stored in the fridge or freezer. I prefer the fridge because putting cooked eggs in the freezer can change the texture a bit.
- Feel free to add other add-ins. Examples: meat (bacon, sausage, chorizo), cheese, other veggies (tomatoes, mushrooms).
- Reheat these in the microwave- line your plate with a paper towel as they can release water when heated up again.
- Chop your veggies first and then measure to make sure you have an accurate measurement.
Leave a Reply