Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats are soft, gooey, and so much better than the store-bought kind. The browned butter takes these over the edge- you won't be able to put them down!
I am a total sucker for ANYTHING brown butter. Butter itself already makes anything 10x better tasting, but browning it?!? We are talking next level stuff here people.
These brown butter rice kripsie treats are out of this world amazing. You can literally see the flecks of brown butter in them, along with pockets of gooey marshmallows and a hint of vanilla extract and salt.
Homemade rice krispie treats are so easy to make and these are no exception.
What you need:
- Butter- duh! I use unsalted for this recipe, but you can use salted if that's all you have on hand! Just omit the salt in the recipe.
- Rice Krispie Cereal- any sort of crispy rice cereal will work great.
- Marshmallows- 2 bags of the mini marshmallows are used here. You are going to end up saving about a cup of them for the end
- Vanilla extract- Adds a little bit of extra flavor to our treats
- Salt- just a little to balance all the sweetness. I like to use kosher salt!
How to make:
- Brown the butter- the best part! Browning butter may seem hard but i promise it isn't. As long as you keep an eye on your butter and don't let it burn, you'll be good to go!
- Stir in the marshmallows- Remember to save a cup for later, but dump the rest of those marshmallows in and stir away until they are nice and melted!
- Mix in the cereal- Using a rubber spatula is the key to mixing here- it'll save you from the cereal/marshmallow mixture sticking to everything. After you've coated the cereal, mix in that extra cup of marshmallows so they are little pockets of goo when you take a bite!
- Press into pan and let cool- Using the rubber spatula (or hot tip- use the butter wrappers) gently press your rice krispies into the pan and let them cool for about an hour before you cut them up and eat the whole pan in a sitting 😉
Other Recipes to Try:
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, browned
- 8½ cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 10oz bags of mini marshmallows - set aside 1 cup of marshmallows for mixing in later in recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by covering in parchment paper. Leave some overhang so it's easy to remove later. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown the butter on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Cook the butter until you see brown flecks and has a nutty smell, around 2-3 minutes. Watch closely and stir often.
- Once the butter has browned, turn off the heat to low and stir in all marshmallows (keeping the extra 1 cup aside for later), vanilla, and salt. Stir marshmallows until they are completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the crispy rice cereal to the marshmallows. Mix well, preferably with a silicone spoon or a spatula. Once coated, add in the extra cup of marshmallows and stir to combine.
- Press the cereal mixture into the 9x13 pan. Use the silicone spatula to press it down evenly but without it sticking. Let it cool for at least 1 hour and then cut into squares or bars and enjoy!
- line your pan with parchment paper for easy removal
- Save your butter wrappers and use them to press the rice krispies evenly into the pan, they work great and don't stick!
- wait until your rice krispies have completely cooled to cut into squares
- store ricec krispies in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 days for maximum freshness. Don't store in the fridge or they become too hard. If making ahead, try to make no more than 1 day in advance.