Blueberry Buckle is one of the best cake recipes you can make with sweet summer blueberries. This recipe gives you a tender cake with an addictive crumble streusel topping. It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
This recipe is a STAPLE in the Hamilton household. I'm almost positive my mom could make this blindfolded, that's how many times it's been made. We've brought this cake to family parties, holidays, baby showers, and work gatherings.
Blueberry buckle has a tender and juicy center that's bursting with blueberries. The streusel on top is buttery, crumbly, and arguably the best part of the cake. Growing up, my favorite part when helping my mom was making the crumble. I always snuck a few nibbles before it made its way into the oven. 🙂
Easy to Make!
This cake is not only delicious, it's actually quite easy to make. This recipe is simple, straightforward, and doesn't require a ton of equipment. With some extra elbow grease, you could make this whole cake by hand and without a mixer!
The simple cake base is made like most cake recipes- sugar, butter, and egg are creamed together until nice and smooth. Then you add the remaining dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. The crumble itself might be the easiest part- and the most delicious.
Blueberry buckle is amazing straight out of the oven, at room temperature, and it also freezes perfectly. Just bake as directed, cool completely, and place in a very well-sealed container (or pre-cut slices and wrap in plastic wrap). Your cake will keep for a couple of months in the freezer and will still be wonderfully moist when you go back for a piece!
This blueberry buckle cake perfect for any occasion. It can be served at brunch with a cup of coffee, paired with my broccoli and bacon quiche. It also makes a great dessert!
If you bring this cake to your next gathering, everyone will be asking you for seconds!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. Grease a 9x9 baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream sugar and butter together until smooth. Add egg and mix until combined.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter/sugar mixture. Start by adding some flour and mix, then add some milk and mix. Alternate between the two about 3 times (doens't need to be exact).
- Coat blueberries with 1 tbsp flour and gently fold into the batter using a wooden spoon or spatula (not a mixer). Pour into prepared baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together with a fork until it becomes crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the cake before baking.
- Bake on 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Fresh blueberries are best. Tossing them with a spoonful of flour keeps them evenly distributed throughout the cake.
- If using frozen berries, there is no need to defrost first but your cake may need a few extra minutes to finish baking.