These Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are soft, chewy, and have gooey pillows of marshmallows throughout. Made with only 6 simple ingredients and ready in less than 1 hour.
Rice Krispie Treats are a classic from my childhood and there is nothing I love making more, probably because they are so dang easy to make! Throw together a few ingredients and you have a delicious treat in less than 1 hour.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a little twist on the classic recipe. By adding creamy peanut butter it makes these even more irresistible. These are seriously so good!
Ingredients needed for these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Here are some notes on a few ingredients- please see the full ingredient list in the recipe card below!
- butter- I use unsalted butter for this recipe but if you only have salted butter just omit or half the salt that the recipe calls for.
- peanut butter- creamy peanut butter is my fav! I didn't test this with natural peanut butter but I think it would work fine.
- marshmallows- mini marshmallows work best in this recipe but you can use big ones if that's all you have. The mini ones are great for reserving a cup and adding them in at the end for pockets of gooey marshmallows.
- vanilla- the secret ingredient to making these so good!
- rice krispie cereal- obviously needed to make peanut butter ricce krispie bars! I used regular rice krispie cereal but I have suggestions for substitutions below.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large pot or dutch oven, melt together the butter and peanut butter on medium heat until completely smooth and combined.
Step 2: Turn the heat to low and add in the marshmallows, reserving 1 cup for later use. Mix until the marshmallows have melted and then immediately remove from the heat.
Step 3: Pour in the rice krispies and mix until just coated, then adding in the extra cup of marshmallows. Mix until all the cereal is coated and press into a baking dish using a silicone spatula (helps it to not stick). Allow them to cool before cutting into bars
How to make rice krispie treats in the microwave:
Step 1: Melt the butter and peanut butter in the microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 1-minute intervals on medium power, stirring in between until smooth and melted.
Step 2: Add in the vanilla and salt, mixing to combine.
Step 3: Pour in the marshmallows and put them back into the microwave at 1-minute intervals until melted and smooth (mixing in between).
Step 4: Pour in the cereal and coat evenly, then press it into the pan and allow it to cool.
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips
My go-to peanut butter for this recipe is regular creamy peanut butter. It works really well and melts perfectly with the butter.
I did not test this recipe with anything other than creamy peanut butter, but I believe natural peanut butter or almond butter could work! Just make sure the nut butter is fully melted and mixed well with the butter/melted marshmallows so that the oil doesn't separate. I would do my best to avoid using super oily nut butter.
Totally! Just cut all the ingredients in half, super easy! You can use a 9x9 or 8x8 pan.
There could be a few reasons why. First, make sure not to overcook the marshmallows. You want to melt them over low heat and as soon as they are melted, take them off the heat. Overcooked marshmallows = hard treats. you also want to make sure you don't pack them into the pan too much because that can make them too hard as well.
Yes! If you plan on making these ahead, I would try and do it only a day to 2 before so that they stay fresh. Rice krispie bars tend to harden up after a few days even if they are stored in airtight containers.
Add-in & topping ideas:
Other ideas to add to your peanut butter rice crispy treats:
- Different cereal- You can use any brand of rice cereal or totally change it up. Some good cereals that come to mind and would pair well with peanut butter are cocoa krispies and golden grahams!
- Chocolate drizzle- this would also be a great idea! Just melt some chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the top of your cooled treats. Chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats sounds amazing to me!
- Chocolate chips- this is obvious because what's better than chocolate and peanut butter? I would add about 1 cup of chocolate chips to the mixture. It might melt a little since the marshmallow mixture will be warm but it's ok.
- Chopped candy- Reese's Cups in these? Sign up me. You could also do Reese's Pieces, Snickers, Twix, Butterfingers! Basically, anything would be delicious- I would use 1 cup of any add-in.
- Sprinkles- because sprinkles legit make everything better!
Storing & Freezing
Store these rice krispie peanut butter treats in an airtight container at room temperature. They are most fresh/soft 2-3 days after making but are fine to eat after that time. I do not recommend storing these in the fridge as it makes them very hard!
They can also be frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container. I recommend putting wax or parchment paper between the layers before freezing.
Want to try more recipes?
- Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Small Batch Peanut Butter Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Biscoff Blondies
- Biscoff Mug Cake
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! It's so helpful to my business as well as other bakers 🙂 thank you for supporting Bake & Bacon!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 20 ounces (2 bags) mini marshmallows set aside 1 cup of marshmallows for mixing in later in recipe
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 8½ cups rice krispie cereal
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it in parchment paper. Leave some overhang so it's easy to remove later. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and peanut butter together over medium heat. Once completely melted and smooth, turn the heat to low and stir in the marshmallows (keeping the extra 1 cup aside for later), vanilla, and salt. Stir marshmallows until they are completely melted.
- As soon as the marshmallows have melted, remove from the heat and add the rice cereal. Give it an initial quick mix, preferably with a silicone spatula so it doesn't stick. Dump in the cup of extra marshmallows while it's still warm and then mix well, making sure to coat all the cereal.
- Press the mixture into the 9x13 pan. Use the silicone spatula to press it down evenly. Let it cool for at least 45 minutes and then cut into squares/bars and enjoy!
- Cut into smaller squares for more servings.
- How to make in the microwave:
- Melt the butter and peanut butter in the microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 1-minute intervals on medium power, stirring in between until smooth and melted. Add in the vanilla and salt, mixing to combine.
- Pour in the marshmallows and put them back into the microwave at 1-minute intervals until melted and smooth (mixing in between).
- Finish recipe at step 4 above
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days for optimal freshness.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off of one of those links I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!