The BEST EVER chocolate chunk cookies! These cookies are crispy around the edges, but soft and chewy in the middle. You'll get gooey, melty chocolate chunks in every bite!
I have given myself permission to grace the internet with its 1,904,450,045 chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Yes I know, anotherrrrr chocolate chip cookie recipe. But stay with me, I promise this one is worth your time!! Like I said, it is the best ever chocolate chunk cookie recipe!
Growing up, chocolate chip cookies were a staple in my mom's line up of baked goods. Mary Beth (my mom for those who don't know her) has some sort of magical powers when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. Her cookies are the absolute best. I'm sure a lot of people say that about their mom's cookies, but if you haven't had MB's cookies, then you simply haven't lived!
So, how exactly does my mom make these cookies so delicious? By adding a little extra of the good stuff- EXTRA flour, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips of course!
When making cookies for my blog, I obviously wanted to make MB's famous chocolate chip cookies, but with a little twist. Enter, chocolate chunks.
I stumbled upon Trader Joe's chocolate chunks about a year or so ago, and let me tell you, my life hasn't been the same. It's their regular semi-sweet chocolate in chunks (instead of chips), and I'm talking CHUNKS. Having chunks in your cookies only means one thing, even bigger pockets of chocolate in every bite. Basically heaven.
Don't have chocolate chunks? Chips work perfectly fine too! If you're having a hard time finding any sort of chocolate chips/chunks in store right now, I recently heard on a podcast that Guittard Chocolate company is shipping baking chocolate nation-wide!
Cookie TIP: you want a cookie, but you don't want to bake an entire batch? Been there.
Make the dough and then roll/scoop individual cookies and stick them right into the freezer. That way whenever you have a late-night craving for a good homemade cookie, you can just take a few out and stick them in the oven! Easy!
Enjoy this recipe, I hope these are the best chocolate chunk cookies you've ever had!
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- flaky sea salt (for topping, optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients. Mix until ingredients are combined, but don’t over mix! Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Chill dough for 1-2 hours (if you can, chilling overnight is best!)
- Once chilled, scoop onto a non-stick baking sheet with a cookie scoop (my scoop is about 2 tbsp). I like to push a few chocolate chunks into the top of my cookie before they bake to make them look pretty 🙂
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Top with flaky sea salt (optional). Let cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
- Make sure butter and eggs are room temperature.
- Use unsalted butter. If you only have salted, just omit the salt in the recipe.
- Flaky sea salt is optional, you don’t need to top the cookies if you don’t want to!
- You could absolutely swap chocolate chunks for regular chocolate chips